Are you living with a lot, and a lot of books? As many times as I go through our books and donate, I still have plenty of books, and that means I need a way to display and store them - attractively! Take a page from these five fabulous ideas to store the books you have - attractively!
Turn an ordinary bookcase into a fabulous eye-catching Framed Bookcase. British manufacturer of bespoke furniture Mark Taylor Designs created this elegant way to store and display books, complete with accent lighting. I know that many of you DIYers would be able to create a similar look. Even on a smaller scale, this idea scores big!
- Showcase your beautiful collections along with your books. Photos, clocks and other curiosities makes a bookcase feel more personal and is a great way to share your personal style.
- Stack books horizontally on top of one another, vertically, and even lean at an angle to add visual rhythm. If the spine of a book is distracting, turn it around and face the pages out (especially if it's an older book) for visual interest.
- Group like with like. Unite your displays by grouping items by theme, color, shape, texture or material. Like things together give the biggest bang.
- Mix in art pieces or a mirror either hung on the outside frame and/or as part of a composition.
- Layer books, objects and other accessories, but don't overcrowd!
Reminder: If you live in earthquake country or if your bookshelves rattle ominously when the kids run past, be sure to secure the shelves to the wall with L-brackets or hook-and-eye latches for safety.