Don't you love Muddy Buddy Mix? It's the best treat for those long trips in the car or to snack on while watching a movie. And it seems like they always go first when you serve them at a party. This recipe puts a Halloween twist on the classic muddy buddies and with a few adjustments to the type of candy you use, you could do the same thing for any holiday. It's a fun and yummy way to make the classic muddy buddy recipe look and taste festive.
Today I'm sharing Amber's recipe for Halloween Muddy Buddy Mix. Amber and her darling son, Branson (proud grandma that I am), made this mix for our Halloween party and it was a hit.
9 cups Corn or Rice Chex Cereal
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1-1/2 cups candy corn
1-1/2 cups Reese's Pieces
1-1/2 cups mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
2 cups pretzels
1) Pour Chex Cereal into a large bowl and set aside. Cover the bottom of a large cookie sheet with wax paper and set aside.
2) In a microwavable bowl melt chocolate chips, butter and peanut butter together on high for one minute. Stir and return to microwave, microwaving in 30 second increments until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
3) Pour chocolate-peanut butter mixture over the cereal and gently stir to coat, being careful not to crush the cereal. Place cereal in a large zip lock bag, pour powdered sugar in, seal and shake until evenly coated.
4) Spread cereal out onto the wax paper on the cookie sheet and let cool completely.
5) In a large bowl combine cereal, candy corn, Reese's Pieces, mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and pretzels. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
The extra treats and pretzels in this mixture make it look festive and adds just the right amount of sweet and salty for a delicious treat to munch on. You can also package in individual bags and add a bow for a special treat. This combination will work well through Thanksgiving, and then try adding red and white M&M's in place of the candy corn and Reese's Pieces for a fun Christmas treat.
If you want a delicious recipe for a festive punch, Amber made this Halloween Orange Sherbet Punch that is full of orange flavor and very good. You and your guests will love it. You can get the recipe here.